Thursday 23 November 2006

Pawn to Queen's Bishop...


On the staircase this term we are mostly wearing purple (my favourite colour – I will have a purple clerical shirt, I will, I will…). Or, more accurately, that peculiar claret pinky-purple worn by bishops. Every other guest seems to be a bishop. We even have a resident bishop – which must mean that Simon and I are Deans of this staircase Cathedral? But after this week’s crop of guests, we’ve raised our sights – Archbishops only please. Admittedly this particular exotic Archbishop wore black not purple but the headwear scored mega-points. Fab hat, Your Grace! Going home late evening earlier in the term, I stepped through the small outer door and found myself nose to nose with one of our home purple Archbishops. What does one say…? Hopefully I will have a bit more time to sort that out when the other one visits here very soon.

But what I am really looking forward to is the sighting of the female of the species…

No comments: