Thursday 12 April 2007

I will lift mine eyes...

I was quite taken aback unexpectedly when travelling down the A66 towards Keswick on Tuesday. The tops of the Blencathra ridge were hidden in cloud so it wasn't the view that affected me. It was seeing the hills and remembering the last time I was up in the Lake District - between being told that I had advanced cancer and the operation. So I was expecting the last time to be the last time... Thankfully the tumour was benign and I more than survived. But all that emotion came back as I drove along.
'I will lift up mine eyes to the hills; from whence cometh my help? My help comes from the Lord.' Good old psalmist.
It has been wonderful walking on the tops again even though I did rather too much yesterday and seem to have picked up a ligament niggle that I have never had before. But a pain killer, a night's rest and only the steep downhill bits cause a twinge now. Off to the south of the Lakes tomorrow...

And down in the Conistonwater area the weather continued to be hot and sunny, and dry - no mud and not much in the way of boggy bits either. All a bit unusual for the spring... It was too hazy to get any good photos from the tops so you will just have to imagine what it looked like from the summits of Wetherlam, Coniston Old Man and Bowfell.


2 comments:

Simon said...

That's really powerful testimony Mary!

Keep meaning to get up Blencathra to see how Sharp Edge compares to Striding Edge on Helvellyn - which I've done quite a few times.

See you next week.

flyingfish said...

The old psalmist was definitely right! I had much the same experience, though in my case the hills in question lay to the Northwest of Beijing. (http://flyingfish-windcaughtinanet.blogspot.com/)
Thanks for sharing!