Wednesday 13 June 2007

and in the end...


As my fellow C Staircase Leaver and now fellow ex-staircase steward Simon hints in his blog, this last period at Ridley is turning out to be a curious time. We know that come Thursday or Friday we are out of here, having handed back our keys and loaded our books and study stuff into our cars. From being a returner for the past two years, I know, too, that being here after the Leavers have left is a curious time too. Then I was aware that things felt different – familiar, and loved, faces were no longer around, especially in the shared study, and the dining hall suddenly seemed very empty. This year I am here – going to meetings about next year’s Lent book, clergy finance or how to manage pressure (perhaps a bit late there then?) and still trying to get as much done for the dissertation as possible – but not here, because my mind and thoughts are also on organising this at the vicarage or phoning that person up to check that they know how to get to Ely on the 30th or have got the precious blue or yellow card that promotes them eastwards down the nave. I feel that I am in a sort of limbo – which I suppose I might be, being a ‘baby’ priest not yet ordained.
There is a sort of unreal quality about life at college, a marking of time, some of which is filled by things like a session on the ordainal and a dramatised reading of the service with our own temporary Bishop of Ridley, Bishop Matt (complete with shaven head and eyebrow stud). Very spooky. And the rest is filled with admin and trying to do some more on the dissertation, most of which will have to be done over the summer.
It is also a time of Last Things – the last normal college communion, the last Monday and Friday staircase prayers, the last Thursday MP homily… It’s not sad or happy but noted in a more or less detached way. After Thursday many of us will never meet each other again, which, having spent two or three years together and sharing our vulnerabilities, is strange to contemplate. At least knowing people well makes email conversations easier. Morning prayer in chapel on Wednesday – for the last time – was very special; beautifully led by Simon and with the sun striking through the east stained glass window spectacularly. St Peter was highlighted while Christ and the other three apostles were lit rather moodily – which I will think about further… I think of all things I will miss morning prayer in chapel the most.
The day ended with the final of the croquet tournament – a match of very high quality, by far the best I have seen here – contested by two pairs containing between them three staff members and one first year ordinand. The staff pairing won although I would award individual honours to the ordinand player – he’s so good I wonder if he has played the game before coming to Ridley.
Later today it’s morning prayers and breakfast on our staircases – the last chance to taste Simon’s wonderful scrambled eggs. Then sometime I have to pack up the books ready to take them to the vicarage (my vicarage!) on Friday. And wrestle with the various utilities to get them to do what I need them to do. Back to real life again – no more swanning around as a student.
And I’m looking forward to it…

1 comment:

Simon said...

Thanks for the kind words Mary!