Tuesday 26 June 2007

Que sera, sera...


This is it then - the next stage after Simon’s ‘That’s that then’ on the end of our time at Ridley. Tomorrow the pre-ordination retreat begins, from which we emerge to robe and process into the cathedral. And it will be interesting to find out who emerges from the cathedral in my skin after the service. Will it be a life-changing experience?
Current life has been busy since Leavers’ Day but also not quite real, a bit dreamlike. I’ve managed a few, not very good, games of golf and spent a lot of money. The vicarage is more or less liveable in, and will become more so. Things became more real today when we sorted out what I will be doing on Sunday at my first service and official appearance in the benefice. And it looks as if I might well experience the first funeral of my ordained ministry shortly after, with a PCC meeting and confirmation class on the horizon too. I am very glad that the head verger where I was on placement last summer went through how to assist at the table in a eucharist so I am not completely ignorant of my role. But it would have been nice to know why some of the things are done the way they are – it can’t all be hygiene and neatness, must be some theology under it all somewhere…isn’t there?

No comments: