Thursday 12 July 2007

'He restores my soul...'


Since being ordained deacon not quite two weeks ago – although it seems much longer – it feels as if my feet have not touched the ground. In a couple of days’ time all that I will have left to do in order to have experienced all of a deacon’s ministry will be taking a funeral and leading a communion by extension. And I suspect the funeral, at least, is not far away…
But in all this busyness a huge bonus – and which I had not realised – is the wonderful countryside nearby. After three services in three churches last Sunday I went off in the early evening to the Norfolk coast, only 30 mins away. And there on Snettisham Beach was a view to restore anyone, let alone a rather disoriented deacon. I walked a mile or two on a near-deserted shingle beach, watching the day end over a vast expanse of sandbanks and the sea in the far distance. ‘I will lift my eyes to the sky and sea. From where will my help come? It comes from the Lord’, to misquote Psalm 121.
Followed with a fish and chip supper eaten out of the paper with the fingers, and an hour spent with friends visited on the way home, and what more could I need…?

No comments: