Thursday 19 July 2007

What they don't tell you - No 1


I have been pondering what I can blog on now while still respecting life, people and confidentiality in the parishes of which I am curate. It's all part of the interesting tension between being who I really am and the public persona that I both occupy and am given by others. And I expect that, no doubt, I will get it wrong from time to time. Bloggers at Ridley in the past year were similarly exercised at times, and a constructive debate went on. See the archives in wannabeapriest's blog if you are interested in the guidelines that evolved.

One thing I am starting is an occasional series of 'What they don't tell you at theological college' in the hope that it might inform, and sometimes entertain. Here is the first, offered solely in the interests of helping those who follow us into this ordination business.

Consider cultivating the absence of a sense of smell. Mine was badly dented by treatment to control chronic rhinitis (a runny nose) brought on, I discovered by experiment, by too much exposure to swimming pool chlorine. Keeping fit is dangerous... I'll leave it to you to decide how to lose your olfactory prowess. What they don't tell you is that sometimes the deceased can still make their presence known at funerals. The priest taking this funeral had to work very hard at not throwing up. Whereas I just noticed a certain fruity mustiness... Forewarned is forearmed. In such circumstances wreaths containing lilies are to be welcomed instead of being cursed for the orange stains the pollen makes on a lovely white, newly laundered surplice. I suppose we could always revive the custom of carrying nosegays...?

2 comments:

Simon Heron said...

I had a discussion with a current Ordinand along the lines of 'what they don't teach you at Theological college' the other day. We lamented the lack of opportunity to do school assemblies, a part of many parishes life.
Perhaps a list of the 'top ten things we wished we'd been taught' from former students from Anglican training institutions could be sent to the colleges. Our helpful input will be appreciated as much as it was when we were there.
Probably.

Mary said...

Good idea. School assemblies would be a useful addition to Life and Service or the equivalent. At the one assembly I have been to so far in a state primary we were shown all the songs that the children know and sing in assemblies. And they were all secular, mainly about nature, sunny days and holidays. I think that I will struggle with just that repetoire to work with... Why ask clergy to come and take assemblies if non-secular songs are either not known or allowed? There is a limit on what you can teach if you only get two visits a term at best. Ideas from seasoned hands about school assemblies are welcome.